If you're ready to spend your retirement in a small community surrounded by rich cultural resources, look no further than El Campo, Texas!
Living in El Campo means that you're centrally located to enjoy all Texas has to offer. El Campo is a vibrant rural community, that has a very active senior community. El Campo is located just one hour southwest of Houston, so our residents can enjoy everything Houston offers and return home within an hour. As many say in El Campo, El Campo is "close enough away." El Campo is also just one hour from the coast, making day trips a reality for our residents.
We encourage you to come for a visit to see for yourself why El Campo is exactly where you want to be!
El Campo has been recognized by the Texas Department of Agriculture as a Certified Retirement Community. For more information about El Campo, please review El Campo's Certified Retirement Community Assessment.
10 REASONS TO RETIRE IN EL CAMPO, TEXAS!
- Renowned hospital - A well-respected, well-staffed hospital — El Campo Memorial Hospital — that provides the optimal in care is located in El Campo. Additionally, nationally recognized hospitals such as Methodist and Memorial Herman are located within 45 minutes of El Campo. With these hospitals, Veterans Administration outpatient clinic (located just 35 minutes away), and various specialized treatment facilities, the medical facilities attract people from all over the East Texas area seeking excellent health care and cutting edge medical technology.
- Senior Tax Freeze — The City of El Campo joined with the El Campo ISD in 2006 to freeze Senior and Disabled citizens property taxes.
- Excellent educational opportunities for lifelong learning - via Wharton County Junior College in Wharton only 15 minutes away. You can enroll in affordable community classes at Wharton County Junior College to learn anything from cake decorating to computer applications or you can pursue an associate’s degree in a variety of fields. You can also commute a short distance to pursue your undergraduate degree at University of Houston in Sugar Land.
- An agreeable climate — Allows participation in outdoor activities year around (fantastic golf, fishing, hunting, or just walking in the park or gardening) An agreeable climate that allows participation in outdoor activities almost year-round. Our mild climate complements our great golf courses, fantastic fishing, and other outdoor amenities. El Campo has four distinct seasons with an average annual temperature of 68°. Usually, El Campo’s winter begins in mid-December and runs through mid-February, leaving many sunny mild days.
- Affordable, attractive and comfortable Housing — To fit all seniors needs from first class subdivisions to senior specific housing to meet all needs.
- Access to a wide variety of leisure activities — From Golf, to Hunting, Fishing, Walking Jogging, Tennis, Shopping, Volunteerism, Movie Theater, Bowling Alley, High School Spectator Sports, to Boating and Nature Watching.
- Close enough away — A comfortable small town feel with all of the amenities of a big city due to Sugar Land/Rosenberg’s Regional service area.
- Tremendous entrepreneurial and volunteer opportunities — Whether your passion is starting yet one more business or getting involved in community improvement projects El Campo is fantastic for both. From church activities to Manna Meals, many organizations offer a warm welcome for full-time or part-time volunteering. El Campo has a large number of churches, representing diverse denominations, that provide ample opportunity not only to worship, but to get involved as a volunteer in church activities. El Campo is also host to many festivals and cultural events throughout the year in which to volunteer. El Campo is also home to service organizations such as Rotary, Elks, Lions, Pilot Club and other national service organizations
- Superb highway access — El Campo is within 1 hour of Houston — and just under 2.5 hours to other major metroplexes, including San Antonio and Austin via the Texas highway system. With Houston approximately 1 hours away via Highway 59 North and Austin 2 hours away up US Highway 71 West, El Campo offers the best of both worlds — tranquil, affordable small-town living combined with access to some of the best features of urban life. Retirees can escape the city costs and congestion in just a short distance from major cities & major airports.
- Close to the coast — Enjoy everything you want in retirement in one of the most naturally beautiful places on earth – the Texas coast line. Access to a variety of leisure activities from fishing to walking on the beach is right around the corner. You can visit and enjoy a variety of cultural activities and exhibits or enjoy outdoor recreation. Thousands of visitors’ flock to Matagorda and other bay areas.