Job Location: El Campo
Maintenance Worker (Seasonal)
Department: Streets, Utilities, Parks, Facilities
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Employment Type: Seasonal
Safety Sensitive: Yes
A full range of municipal services is provided by the City of El Campo including public safety (police, fire protection and emergency medical services); water and wastewater services; public improvements; repair and maintenance of infrastructure; recreational and community activities; planning and zoning; and general administrative services. The City has a home-rule Council-Manager form of government. The elected body is made up of a mayor and six City Council members. The Mayor and City Council members are all elected for staggered two-year terms. The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and is responsible for implementation of City Council policy and all day-to-day operations of the City.
This position is responsible for assisting employees in any of the four departments listed above. Employment is seasonal based on the needs of the departments. Seasonal employment will not exceed six months.
- High School Diploma (GED or High School Equivalence Certificate)
- Valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License with acceptable driving record
No minimum experience necessary
Essential functions require presence in the workplace on a regular basis. In order to accomplish this, regular attendance MUST be maintained. This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single employee. Employee is expected to perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Flag motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Set out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Dump, spread, and tamp asphalt, using pneumatic tampers, to repair joints and patch broken pavement.
- Drive city vehicle to/from work locations; transport crews and equipment to work sites.
- Inspect, clean, and repair drainage systems, bridges, tunnels, and other structures.
- Haul and spread sand, gravel, and clay to fill washouts and repair road shoulders.
- Erect, install, or repair guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools.
- Remove litter and debris from roadways, including debris from rock and mud slides.
- Clean and clear debris from culverts, catch basins, drop inlets, ditches, and other drain structures.
- Perform roadside landscaping work, such as clearing weeds and brush, and planting and trimming trees.
- Drive heavy equipment and vehicles with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds, remove snow and ice, and spread salt and sand.
- Participate in the manual labor associated with the maintenance, repair and construction of the roadway system, including roadway and shoulder maintenance and construction, drainage maintenance and construction, mowing and vegetation control.
- Apply heated asphaltic material, concrete and oil as necessary to repair or resurface streets and manually rake road material for extended periods of time.
- Perform safety and maintenance inspections on equipment such as fuel, battery, windshield, oil, water, grease, brakes, tires, etc.
- Repair and install traffic control signs and devices.
- Trim trees where limbs and bushes are blocking roadways, pathways and sidewalks.
- Must have good communication skills; requires a calm demeanor in responding to customer questions and/or complaints and dealing with the general public in everyday activities.
- Ability to perform repetitious tasks and have a high degree of independent judgment.
- Perform the full range of grounds maintenance tasks: mow, rake, edge, sweep, plant, prune, weed, irrigate, clean out beds; fertilize and trim lawns, trees, flowers and shrubs.
- Operate riding mowers and tractor-powered gang mowers to mow lawns.
- Operate trimmers, edgers, blowers, pressure washers, push mowers.
- Conduct safety checks of playground equipment.
- Measure and line out athletic fields for use by the public.
- Performs custodial duties at City parks and facilities: cleans restrooms, restocks soap and paper products, picks up trash, washes windows and empties trash cans.
- Perform building maintenance work involving minor repairs, painting, plumbing, electrical and carpentry tasks to maintain or repair shelters, fences and other facilities, remodel facilities, install playground systems and fabricate equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on parks equipment.
- Maintains and replaces sprinkler heads and sprinkler lines.
- Operate oxygen and acetylene welding equipment to repair or fabricate equipment.
- Interact in a professional and respectful manner with City staff and the public.
- Assist with Recycle Center, Compressor and Cardboard Baler.
- Identify, assess and repair breaks or obstructions in sewer lines and proactively investigate possible source points of sewer overflows.
- Operate safely all types of heavy equipment, including pipe bursting equipment, back hoes, dump trucks, high pressure water sewer machines, sewer rodding machine, jackhammer, pipe cutters, tapping machine, pipe saw, power tools, hand tools, pipe and valve locators and large rock drill.
- Perform jetting on routine and as needed basis with high pressure water attachment to clean and clear plugged sanitary and storm sewer network.
- Inspect and maintain manholes to improve personal access and eliminate inflow and infiltration, adjusting manhole rims to match street grade and grouting and sealing seams.
- Inspect and maintain water meters to ensure accurate consumption reading.
- Routine maintenance of flushing water mains and inspections of fire hydrants to ensure proper operation and adequate pressure by operating, clearing brush, painting, recording pressures and making field repairs.
- Install, replace, upsize and repair water services, mains, hydrants and other water and sewer system apparatus to meet city specifications and standards.
- The City reserves the right to require an employee in this position to work overtime including during emergency situations (defined as any natural or man-made disaster that may or may not necessitate the relocation of City personnel or citizens). In the event of an emergency and/or a required evacuation, the incumbent may be required to remain at work to provide needed services or perform essential duties for the benefit of the general public including services or duties different from those performed in the normal course and scope of the position.
- Additional duties as assigned.
(Note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.)
View full job description
Job application (must DOWNLOAD to enable fillable fields)
Submit application to:
Kevin Thompson (Public Works Director)
618 E. Monseratte St.
El Campo, TX 77437
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled